P/ KL/ Panadura Balika Maha Vidyalaya was started as an evening school using the resources of Mahanama Vidyalaya, Walana.
Madam S. Munindradasa was appointed as the very first principal of the school and Madam N.K.Perera supported her as the Vice Principal. At the beginning there were only ten students and Chintha Pathirana was the first pupil. At the very beginning, despite many obstacles the school had to use the properties of another school. Therefore, then principal Madam S. Munindradasa, with the assistance of the staff, the parents, Buddhist Association of Panadura and Mr. Upali Dias and also with the contribution of the Department of Education relocated the school in its existing premises.
Mr. M. D. Banda, then minister of Education placed the foundation for the new building on the 12 th of November 1954. On 2nd of September 1955 Panadura Balika Maha Vidyalaya was located in the heart of the city. During her period of administration Madam Munindradasa was capable of introducing various fields various like commerce, arts, music and handicraft to the school community and in 1958, the school main hall was constructed which later became a symbol of Panadura Balika.
In 1971 the principal Madam Munindradasa was transferred and the new principal was Madam P. Fonseka During her short period of service she was able to involve the students in extra curricular activities.In 1975
Madam P.Fonseka was transferred and new principal was Madam A.L.Perera.
After doing a great service to the school she departed as she got a promotion and In 1995 Mrs.Durga Wijemanna became the principal. She was able to;
• Construct a new three storied building .
• Establish a Computer Unit and an Audio Visual room.
• Modernize the staff room, the principal's office and the main hall.
She worked as a dedicated principal during her period.
From 2006 Madam K.H. Amara Nandanie is with a tremendous effort,trying to uplift the status of the school as the present principal of Panadura Balika Maha Viyalaya. She worked as the former directress of Kalutara Education Zone.
The Glory of Panadura Balika - Then and Now
It was five decades ago, on 15th June, the first step was kept forward for the commencement of a long journey to establish a Buddhist Girls' School in the town of Panadura.. Of the pioneers, Madam S. Munindradasa, improved the status of the school with immense dedication and commitment .At first the journey was slow but steady .
As years went by with the progress of the school gathering momentum, batches of girls with the progress school gathering momentum, batches of girls with commit ment joined the society as learned people. The Alma - Mater was proud right along of these people and the dedicated tutors who helped them to achieve such heights.Talk of studies, sports, oratorical contests and any other activity, the school was leading the way. With the improvement of the school the children had the benefit of higher studies in Science, Arts and other streams, and now she has under her wing about 1500 daughters of the soil, learning their way join the world.